Thursday 22 August - Foresters v North Ribblesdale (H) KO 7.00pm ----    Saturday 24 August - 1st XV v Blaydon (A) KO 2.30pm ----

West Park Leeds 12 – 60 Foresters

Foresters match report, Saturday 28th March, West Park Leeds (away)

The Foresters travelled to West Park Leeds on Saturday with a few squad changes due to first team call ups and other players returning from long term injury.
In what was a dry but testing afternoon due to a blustery cross wind, the Foresters started brightly with Jake Parkinson and the returning Anthony Oxley making good yards into the WPL defence. Despite this, the first score was around a quarter of an hour in coming. A good break by Ben Booth down the left hand side put Andrew Foulds in space to run in. 0-5.
The next score followed shortly afterwards from a scrum in the Foresters 22. Tommy Whyte picked from the base of the scrum, fed Ottolowski at scrum half, who in turn passed to Marcus Farnsworth. The full back then put Ben Parkinson away down the right, who beat the last defender and doubled the score 0-10.
Next a strong midfield break by J Parkinson and good handling skills offered enough space for a bullocking Simon Crabtree to touch down under the posts. This time Farnsworth was successful with the conversion, 0-17.
WPL then decided to start playing some rugby of their own. A period of sustained pressure in the Wharfedale 22 eventually saw the hosts crash over near the posts. The conversion was successful, 7-17.
The Foresters quickly responded. A good break by Foulds unfortunately ended with some loose handling and the scrambling WPL defence managed to clear their lines, but only as far as their 22. From the ensuing lineout a well organised rolling maul saw the Foresters pack rumble over the home line. Tom Baines was credited with the touchdown. Conversion successful, 7-24.
B Parkinson then became the beneficiary of some slick handling through the midfield enabling the winger to score his second out on the right. Again the tricky conversion was missed, 7-29.
The second half started and the game continued in a similar fashion. Foulds scoring the first try of the half, 7-34. Then the home side enjoyed their best period of the afternoon, threatening the Wharfedale line on several occasions with a sustained period of pressure, which if not for some good defensive work would have yielded more than the 1 try for WPL, 12-34.
Wharfedale responded with a great break by substitute winger Stevie Pearson which resulted in a penalty for the visitors. A quick tap was taken and crashing runs by J Parkinson and Jake Starkey then saw Baines cross the line for his second of the afternoon, 12-39.
Next, Booth broke clear of the WPL midfield and managed to evade the remaining defenders to finish off a fine individual try. Farnsworth successfully added the extras, 12-46. The Foresters now really had their tails up and were exploiting holes in the tiring WPL defence. Another break down the wing by Pearson who, under pressure, managed to offload to Whyte. The number 8 just having the legs to run clear of the remaining defenders and score under the posts, 12-53.
The final score of the afternoon was scored by Anthony Oxley who was put through a gap by Joel Bradley and charged over, scoring under the posts. Farnsworth then added his 5th conversion of the afternoon.
Final score WPL 2nd’s 12 – 60 Wharfedale Foresters
1. Matty Close
2. Jake Parkinson
3. Thomas Walker
4. Simon Borrill
5. Rhys Davies
6. Anthony Oxley
7. Tom Baines
8. Tom Whyte
9. James Ottolowski
10. Max Bell
11. Andrew Foulds
12. Simon Crabtree
13. Ben Booth
14. Ben Parkinson
15. Marcus Farnsworth
16. Jake Starkey
17. Jed Brewis
18. Dan Benson
19. Joel Bradley
20. Stevie Pearson
Tries: Foulds 2, B Parkinson 2, Baines 2, Crabtree, Booth, Whyte, Oxley.
Cons: Farnsworth 5