Thursday 22 August - Foresters v North Ribblesdale (H) KO 7.00pm ----    Saturday 24 August - 1st XV v Blaydon (A) KO 2.30pm ----

Wharfedale Dev XV 41 – 0 North Ribblesdale 2nd XV

A bright, dry, spring day provided ideal playing conditions for the 3rd encounter of the season between Wharfedale 3rd XV and a North Ribblesdale 2nd XV. Wharfedale had been on the right side of the first two encounters but were wary of a Ribb team that always gave 100% in these derby matches and were perhaps buoyed by the welcome new year success of their resurgent 1st XV.
Ribb kicked off proceedings in front of a large crowd of supporters for both teams. The Wharfedale forwards fielded the ball and set about running at the Ribb defense with real purpose only to be met by some crunching tackles, especially in close quarters. Ribb were the first to falter though and gave away a penalty at the ruck, Harris Catley converting successfully. 3-0.
Early scrum encounters were going in favour of the away team, but Matty & Ian Close along with Tom Carlisle were unlikely to accept that as the status quo for the afternoon and soon restored parity and eventually edged honours in the scrum battle. From such a scrum, a great break by Matt Wareing at number 8, fed the supporting David Wade who made further inroads into the Ribb defence. Unfortunately the ball was turned over and Ribb tried to clear their lines, but the kick was easily fielded by Harry Croft who ran the ball back at Ribb. The ball was recycled and extra yards were gained by the forwards before the attack went wide to Catley, who was running full of confidence and having possibly his best game of the season. The full back managed to evade and out run the remaining defenders to score out wide but couldn’t quite add the extras with the conversion attempt. 8-0.
Another loose kick by Ribb was this time fielded by James Ardron, who then passed a lovely hospital pass to Croft. Despite this the centre managed to stay strong and offload to the supporting Wade. Wade, who was outstanding all afternoon, then stormed clear of Ribb through the midfield and offloaded to a rampaging Matty Close, who showed good pace to hold off the last defenders to score near the posts, Catley converted, 15-0.
The second half started with Ribb enjoying their best spell of the game after choosing to run the ball at Wharfedale rather than the wayward kicks which proved to be fruitful for the home side in the first half. The lads in green were up to the challenge though and resolute defence thwarted these attacks. The home side then had another opportunity to attack, a great break by Sam Mason, followed by quick ruck ball and good handling put Croft through a gap to run in unchallenged, Catley converted. 22-0.
Further good handling this time put Catley into space who passed to the supporting Mason to score Wharfedale’s 4th. 27-0. Wharfedale then pinned Ribb back in their 22 and pressurised their fly half and forced a knock on. The turn over ball was quickly put wide and Mason profited with his second of the afternoon. Catley successfully converted. 34-0.
More defensive pressure by Wharfedale in Ribb’s 22, highlighting the hunger to compete all afternoon, forced the opposition into touch. Wharfedale won the resulting lineout cleanly and set up a solid looking rolling maul which trundled towards the try line. Morgan Davies, on his senior debut, coolly broke from the base of the maul to crash over unopposed. Again Catley converted. Final score 41-0.
1. Matty Close
2. Tom Carlisle
3. Ian Close
4. James Ardron
5. Jed Brewis
6. David Wade
7. Andrew Bode
8. Matt Wareing
9. Will Lawn
10. Michael Beer
11. Adam Stockdale
12. Sam Mason
13. Harry Croft
14. Gavin Spencer
15. Harris Catley
16. Jack Kitching
17. Morgan Davies
18. Callum Lockett
Tries: Mason (2), Catley, Croft, Close, Davies.
Cons: Catley (4)
Pens: Catley