Result Wednesday 16 August - Bradford Salem 10 - 35 Foresters ----    Saturday 19 August - Wharfedale v Hull Ionians (A) KO 3.00pm ----

Foresters 15 Otley 40

November 22nd, 2013
A desperately cold evening saw a fine match of open running rugby between two committed sides. Otley, lying comfortably placed fifth in National Two, have nominated winning the Yorkshire Cup as their season’s objective, whereas Wharfedale, with much to do to secure their National One status, fielded their regular second string Foresters. This difference was revealed in the two selections: whereas the young Greens could muster only 26 first-team starts between them this season, Otley’s score was 174. Not that an observer would have noticed this disparity until late in the game: moving into the third quarter with the scores level at 15-15, a possibly harsh yellow card for Foresters prop Neil Dickinson opened the flood-gates, and the visitors ran in three tries in his absence. The increased pressure eventually told, and two more tries in the last five minutes gave the scoreline an imbalance which at one stage had seemed unlikely. Wharfedale had taken the lead inside the first minute. Failure to get under the kick-off resulted in a turn-over on the Otley line, a half-break by Harry Bullough and an inside scoring pass to Josh Prell under the posts. Game on. But it took Otley only three minutes to hit back: a break on the left wing by prolific try-scorer James Twomey, a kick ahead and a touch-down brought the score to 7-5. This, however, was to be Otley’s last incursion into home territory until close to half-time. Built on domination of the set piece, with credit going to the young Foresters front row and fine line-out play from Burnett and Davies, fast possession created holes in the Otley defence and was rewarded when James Druce went over in the corner following a succession of driven mauls. Druce had added a penalty to his conversion of the opening try, but the 15-5 scoreline was a modest reflection of the home side’s superiority. By half-time, however, Otley had got into gear and ten minutes of pressure had eventually produced a fine solo try for fly-half Ben Cooper, who added a penalty to level the score at 15-15. The visitors’ domination continued in the second half, and it was only determined defence which kept them out until the yellow card in the 59th minute. In Dickinson’s absence, first Stannard, then Munroe and finally Cicognini ran through the tiring defence, and in the final five minutes Barnes and Arundale completed the scoring. In the end, this was a fair result. The Foresters reinforced their credentials as the outstanding side in Yorkshire Premier Division One, while Otley, bristling with Academy talent of which teenage hooker Cole was surely the pick, have taken the first step on their Yorkshire Cup campaign; but what would they give for a goalkicker!
Comments are closed.
Theme by NeoEase. Valid XHTML 1.1 and CSS 3.